Monday, May 21, 2012

Sunday Confessional

So I took it down a few weeks ago...that Google Followers ticker.

You know why? Cause my followers dropped and I even knew who had stopped "following" me because I only had 28 followers.

The biggest part? It bugged me. I was thinking "Thanks. I'm glad you passive-aggressively told me that my blog sucks."

Seeing as it bothered me, I figured it was a good time to take the widget down. What was the point? I'm not going to have some crazy blog with 10, 000 followers, nifty graphics, ads, give-aways and link-ups. In the event that this situation would occur I'd also think that no one would need to know that I had 10,000 people reading my blog anyway.

I didn't start blogging for a popularity contest.

I started blogging because I saw a huge need within our police world for mentorship amount police wives. Much of our force is young in years of police experience, which translates to "young" police wives. So even though I only have a few years in on to this gig, we were running into families that desperately needed support, wives who resented their husband's new career cause they didn't understand why he had changed or the changes the new job was bringing to their family.

I started this particular blog also to have a space to share our stories and document our life as a police family.

Though I've been blogging on and off for the last 6 years, I had no idea how much the blog world had changed. I'm still pretty old school and I'm okay with keeping it that way.

I appreciate all of you that stop by to share in our journey here, who have followed this blog and I thank you kindly for showing your support.

So that's why it's gone... Cause I didn't want to feel like I was in Jr. High anymore.

*if you are curious about my blog roll I add blogs that I enjoy reading as I stumble upon them simply because I will never be able to remember their address again ;) If you would like to be added send me an email or comment with your blog addy and we'll go from there.

6 comments:

  1. Just a note to let you know I really enjoy your blog and read it whenever you post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some similar things happen: I would notice that whenever I wrote something controversial, I would see "followers" drop off. There are a lot of women who are into the Police Blogs to read the funny stories, gain useful advice, and scam a recipe or two. But the tough emotional territory scares them; even here, where no one can see you cry. The first time it happened I was genuinely upset, but then I decided that I could not care. If I cared, then I might censor myself to please the masses...and then, what's the point of having a blog anyway?
    If removing the Following Icon helps you to not be distracted, then...Good girl. Great decision.
    I believe in supporting people through both the good times and the bad. That goes for both the "real" people in my life and the people I meet in the Blogosphere. If more women felt that way...well, then the world would be a better place.

    “There is a special place in hell for women who don't help other women."

    (Keynote speech at Celebrating Inspiration luncheon with the WNBA's All-Decade Team, 2006)”
    ― Madeleine Albright

    I'll keep checking in!
    :) SCW Stella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I didn't officially 'follow' your blog, I do check in quite often. Because, as we all know, I suck at keeping in touch, so your blog has helped me keep in touch with you again. And I totally get what you are saying about it bugging you. On my blog, they recently introduced a feature where you don't have to click more posts, they just automatically load, like the facebook ticker thing. So this causes my blog visits to fall through the floor. Because I am vain, I liked to see that number high, and now that it isn't it bugs me. There could be just as many people reading, for all I know. I just need to remember that I started that blog to improve a hobby of mine, not to impress all the internetz.

    So, I applaud the reason that you started this blog, and I hope that it continues to encourage other people who have spouses/family members in the law enforcement world. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stumbled on your blog tonight. I am married to a police chief, eight years on Monday, he's been a cop for 15 years. We have twins, I work full time, a big job so to speak. I've been fine with this gig as a cop's wife for years...until now. Thanks for writing, I have no idea how to follow anything other than a leaky sippy cup and a good sales rack, but I'll check in to read your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Thanks for the support. I Appreciate it and that you are reading my blog. I blog cause I want to, but obviously it would feel a little weird if no one ever read or commented, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete