I nervously pulled up in front of her house. It had been 4 years since we had last seen each other and neither myself nor they had been walking an easy journey at the time. I double checked the address and caught a glimpse of her through the window. A beautiful little face appeared with a nose pressed to the window as I braved the cold to scoop my girls out of their carseats and walk up to the gate. The last time I'd seen that little face that was pressed to the window was when she had just been a wee babe. I hadn't even known JR the last time I saw them. Life had certainly changed since.
All my apprehension faded as the door opened and I was greeted by the warm, caring friend I had always known. Their home was inviting and I immediately felt at ease. The conversation flowed as if we had just seen each other days prior. We have personality to thank plus the help of social media keeping us connected though distance kept us seperate.
It was a delightful surprise to find out that her husband had taken up law enforcement and I think that also helped renew our friendship. When I first heard he was starting his training I ticked off the reasons why I knew that this was such a great career for him. Such a great career for her. From what I first remembered of him as a lanky boy on to our teen years and then as young adults, Blue had always had an incredible way of connecting with people. He could be seen bridging the generation gap, talking with a white haired elder as easily as a wee little one running around like a crazy person. Fun was always close at hand and the guy knew better then anyone else how to roll with the punches. Somehow he was always prepared including an extra pair of pants in the trunk of his car. 'Just in case' pants. 'Car' pants. I can't remember what he called them. He is resourceful. A talent that would come in handy as a police officer as well as tenacity. I observed one cold night as he successful unlocked their van with a coat hanger by grabbing the keys out of the ignition and pulling them up through the window (or maybe I embellish, who cares, it makes a good story).
When I think of an example of what a committed wife is I've often thought of her. She has stood behind Blue through thick and thin. I watched as life handed them all kinds of curve balls yet she dealt with them with poise. No matter where they lived, she made it their home. They had a gift with hosting which I could see was still evident as we sat and reconnected that cold February morning.
There's coffee with a friend and chit chat and then there is the wonderful conversation of a true blue kindred spirit that inspires, encourages and feeds your soul. I had spent a number of hours catching up with friends on that visit home but nothing spoke to my spirit more then the time I spent at her kitchen table. I left refreshed. She is one of those friends that I wish I could pop over for a coffee a couple mornings a month or at least see more then once a year...more then once every four years!
So this is my ode to you, Covering Blue. I'm so excited that you and Blue have started on this journey! I'm so happy to have you in the Officer's Wives Club. Even though our husbands are with different organisations and we live hundreds of miles apart, it is so nice to have a connection out there with a heart akin to mine.
This post has been waiting in the wings for months and as Blue calls in for duty on his first shift out of training I thought it appropriate to say Cheers to You, Covering Blue. We don't have badges for police wives, but we have blogs. And this one is for you!
So now I pose the question to the rest of you...who has inspired you on your journey as a law enforcement family or whatever label family you are? Who is someone that you would like to give a shout-out to that has help you to keep on keeping on? Make a comment. I'd love to hear your story!
Oh, JR's Wife! You are too kind! My eyes are all watery after reading this beautiful post :) I'm so happy that we've been able to stay connected and found it so easy to pick back up where we left off. I too wish that we could have our kids play while we visit over coffee more often, but we'll make-do with what we have; blogs, FB and random visits. I'm also glad that I have someone else to talk to about this crazy life of being an LEO's wife. Much, MUCH love :)
ReplyDeleteWe will work on more random visits! I'm glad to share in this all with you too!
ReplyDelete