Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday Frustrations...

I really want to keep this blog positive and upbeat. I love the the police force. I know there are things that make it difficult but I wouldn't trade being a force family for anything. Its who we our...our way of life. Not just a career but a lifestyle...

You know what frustrates me though? When other people can't figure this out. When other police wives/spouses (though my experience is more with the women) seem to expect that their hubby is just going to clock in at "x" and come home at "y". If the shift is from 0600-1400hrs they should be walking in the door at 1415hrs or something crazy like that.

I can't handle the whining. "oh my husbands never home, oh this, oh that, we had to cancel plans yaddy yaddy yaddy" Would you just get over it already?

Maybe I'm just special but last I checked suppers can be warmed up, plans can be arranged, things can be done without my cop around. No, it isn't always fun going everywhere on your own, always being asked if the cop is working, hauling two small children around...I get it. I get it isn't fun all the time. But life isn't fun a lot of the time either. Its what you make of it that makes it fun, exciting and fulfilling.

If there was someone breaking into your home and you called 911 and the operator said "I'm sorry, no one can attend to the armed robbery happening at your home because all of the officers have gone home for the evening and will be spending time with their family. Please grab the nearest baseball bat and defend yourself. Oh but if you do defend yourself make sure that their is clear indication of death or grievous bodily harm or you may be charged with assaulting the person breaking into your home...oh, you don't have a baseball bat? Rolling Pin? Kitchen chair? Everyone has kitchen chairs. Grab one of those and call us back in 20 minutes to let us know how its going..."

See, that is absurd.

That is why our cops don't come home on time.

The sooner you get used to it the happier you will be.

So please, would you just get over it?

2 comments:

  1. We, as police officers, are usually fully aware of the sacrifices our families make in their support of us. We can't do it without you.

    And it is because of our families that many of us continue to do this job.

    Thank you for your understanding and acceptance of your JR's profession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandra. I felt a little 'whiney' (if that is a word) after I posted this. I don't mean to rag on other cops wives but it just peeves me when they can't find some way to support their profession. Its a lifestyle. I choose to join John Rambo in his career and why would I do anything but support him?? So thank you for the encouragement. It is really appreciated.

    ReplyDelete