Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Watchyamacallit

For as long as I can remember I always just referred to my husband on any online site or message board as DH (darling Husband, or whatever 'd' word you wanted to put infront of that depending on the mood ex. Damn, Dear, Dangerous, Daring etc) or DF when we were engaged, DBF when we were dating. I thought it was time that I came up with a more suitable name.

I'm actually going to borrow one and its a handle he earned during his airsoft years.

John Rambo.

I met JR back in the fall of 2006. We were smittin' from the beginning. He was a newly trained police officer slugging it out at his first posting in a more remote/rural part of the country. We dated long distance and were engaged 8 months after we met and married 6 months later in November 2007. 3 1/2 years and two beautiful children later I'm still learning what being married to JR really entails.

10 Things I've learned from being married to John Rambo:

1) "Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition"
2) Everything must be tactical and practical
3)The zombie's may come someday so we better be prepared
4)Krav Maga is not an Indian delicacy like it sounds and someday I'm sure I'll be in a class
5) Practicing loading a shotgun can be an afternoon activity for a married couple
6) Finding low-recoil buck shot in my underwear drawer should not be alarming
7)That it is okay to go to the gun range while on your honeymoon...I'm still not sure of this one, but that was when I fired a gun for the first time, really truly, I'm talking about the real deal here, no innuendos. (We stopped to visit JR's cousin who lived in North Dakota and we went to the gun range)
8) A 'bugout' bag is always neccessary
9) The Military channel can be watched all day long
10) "Mennonites may be pacifists but Pentecostals will shoot anything"

Yes that's right. I married John Rambo.
(a picture from our honeymoon)

4 comments:

  1. Haha, I like the name.

    #3 reminds me of my brother-in-law. For one Christmas my sister made him a full-out 'Zombie Survival Kit'. He even has escape routes planned :)

    Blue's plan for our 6th anniversary (because I told him to plan it) was to take me to the local hunting outfitting store to buy me my very own gun. I told him that I wouldn't mind hunting or skeet shooting with him, but there was NO WAY that it was going to be our special anniversary activity (and now I kinda regret it...)

    #10 is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I told Blue that I would get my restricted if it meant that we could spend time together at the range...he was very happy. If we want our men to spend time with us doing things that WE like then it's only fair that we spend time with them doing things that THEY like, right? It's a two-way street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh a zombie kit would be so funny. I don't know that I woulda loved going to the range for our anniversary either and I really enjoy shooting. I don't have my PAL or my restricted but because John Rambo does and we have a valid family range membership I can just go with him to the range. I can't go by myself though. JR is also a fire-arms instructor. Right now he does a lot of challenge courses so he gives out books to study and then people challenge the test. So I might be able to hook you up. He won't be coming with us this next visit but in the future, if you don't know someone you can get your restricted through out there, we could arrange for you to do it. :)

    Funny tidbit, #10 was said at a family gathering on my dad's side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, that'll get those old menno's all riled-up! I've had a few run-in's with some sideways glances and mumbled comments regarding this new career...it's funny. I was think about doing a post about it.

    I need to go for my PAL soon. Blue wants me to do some water fowling with him and I really do want to skeet shoot, that's my kinda fun :) The Boy can't wait to get out an hunt with Blue so I figure we may as well make it a whole family event.

    ReplyDelete