I woke up a few mornings ago with a whole bunch of blog ideas but all week I haven't had a chance to actually sit down and type them. The teething baby and busy toddler really didn't help much either. I've found myself with a stack of over 200 emails that I need to go through and more that need attention and replies. So blooging wasn't the only thing that didn't get accomplished.
There have been so many other things to do that blogging hit the back burner and the ideas sort of simmered there for awhile. A whole bunch of thoughts were triggered from reading the book "I Love a Cop" by Dr. Ellen Kirschman. She is a clinical psychologist and I found her book entirely fascinating. To start with though I wanted to post a link that I'm hoping will prove to be helpful. www.policefamilies.com There are a number of links there that prove interesting and I have not had time to go check everything out yet. Maybe this will be a resource that will be helpful to you as well.
Because there have been so many ideas floating around in my head prompted by the book that I thought a good start would be that I use it as a guide to share some of our/my story on our journey as a police family.
My first thoughts on the book were this "F.I.N.A.L.L.Y!!!" I felt validation for the first time that I wasn't crazy in thinking that as a police officers family we are different. The work of the cop we love directly effects our lives. I often feel misunderstood when I share that our life is sometimes difficult because of my husbands shiftwork. Many people work shift work, but I find people just don't get "our" shift work. So I would say this book was sorta just a huge sigh of relief. There. Someone else gets it! They got it enough to write a WHOLE book on it. :)
Get the book. If you are a police family you need to read this book. Some things may be difficult to read, some of it is very meaty and takes a bit to get through but it is worth it. There are lots of realistic examples, personal stories and enlightening tidbits.
Now I'd love to keep typing but the day has been full. We had a children's Christmas Party with our cop family here and it was a fun night. One thing that is for sure, we are a family. It might be dysfunctional at times but I'm so thankful for the other force families we are connected with. I know they will be there through thick and thin and am so thankful for them.
Now if we could only have gotten JJ to sit on Santa's lap long enough to get a decent picture...
No comments:
Post a Comment