Okay, I'll be the first to tell you that being a mother is one of the toughest things I have ever done in my life. But so was running a 5k. Also pulling dead chickens out of the cages wasn't easy and neither has been dealing with clinical depression. Washing in the pig barn? Yah, unpleasant AND I was horrible at it.
Being a mother does not define who I am.
I do not need twelve thousand articles encouraging me about being a good mom. Telling me I am a good mom. YOU ARE A GOOD MOM! HERE YOURSELF ROAR! YOU ARE A GOOD MOM! *and the crowd goes wild*
Absolutely I have had 'mommy melt-downs' and needed some encouragement from close friends and family. Yes, we all remember the time I blogged about crying while sitting on the toilet because I thought I was a horrible mom.
The fact is that I was being a bad mom. I was being an unkind person. I needed a change of heart.
It had nothing to do with what I saw other moms doing around me and everything to do with where my heart was at and how I was treating my own children. What I was being internally convicted of was true. Maybe if you feel like a bad mom there may actually be some truth to it. You need to look at what you are basing it on before you dismiss what is in front of you. You may not just be beaten down by society but maybe you do need to change something in your life. It is a discerning process that each person has to go through to distinguish between conviction and condemnation. Tell condemnation to hit the road and take conviction to heart. Reading affirming articles towards motherhood will never ever wash away true conviction of places where I need to pull up my bootstraps. In places where I am believing a lie there is no article online that will take that away either. It is only by renewing your mind in Christ Jesus that you will find freedom.
I had to take the time to learn to be kind. To myself. To my husband. To my children. To my community. It was a choice.
I do not understand this quest to prove to all the world that MOMS ARE WORTH IT ALL!
Sorry, but you aren't worth anymore then anyone else.
Once you settle this in yourself and realise that life isn't about you it becomes much easier to settle into the role of being the best mom, the best person, the kindest person you can possibly be.
I have a calling. I have a calling firmly written on my heart. It is settled deep down in and I don't have to prove anything to anyone else. I am a Christian. I am a wife. I am a homemaker. I am a mother.
No one else but yourself can decide what will be enough for you and for your life.
So whether you are in your calling and passion right now as a mother, or whether you are struggling every day to make it through. If you are a mother for a season or if you are up to your arm pits in poop and wondering when you forgot how to put on anything but yoga pants, there is no blog article that you can write, that you can read, website you can go to or advice book you can cling to that will make you a 'good' mom.
Joining the I AM MOM HEAR ME ROAR club will not make you a good mom.
It is a choice. It has nothing to do with what other people think of you or how they value your work. It has everything to do with how you value your work. How you choose to live. Who you choose to live for.
It is a magical moment when the peace that passes understanding is dropped into your heart and you no longer have to fight for a position.
For worth.
Once it is seared on your soul there is nowhere for it to go.
So excuse me while I wave the band-wagon on by.
JJ and I...January 2009

I am not a mom, but I could really relate to your post. Self-worth is so important and I agree with you that it is not something external.
ReplyDeleteVery neat post!