My flight out of New Orleans was delayed, leaving me stuck in Minneapolis and JR and I scrambling to find someone...anyone, who could take our children for the afternoon til I could get home 15 hours later then I was supposed to.
I couldn't find anyone to scoop up our children for a few hours. People didn't really seem to think this was a big deal.
JR had to sleep. He was working a night shift.
People don't get it.
Tired cops aren't good cops.
THEY CARRY GUNS TO WORK.
For the first time it really clicked for me.
The only back-up JR and I really have is the Lord.
There is no family who would change their schedules or make it a priority to help. We have good friends who do their best to be there for us, but in the end, they have their own lives, their own children, their OWN families to look out for.
I still feel the panic rising inside of me as I was running on 2 hours of sleep, scrambling to find a flight home and find someone, anyone, to take our girls. I was praying, "Lord, please, send someone." I felt so terrible. Here I was, in another country, Facebooking and texting to try and arrange for someone to spell of John Rambo who had already taken 3 days off work in the middle of his shift so that *I* could go on 'vacation' (aka, a free trip I earned because I worked hard at my business last year). He'd been doing a super job! Like super duper. Taking the girls to the park and dealing with them while they were both quite sick. Its exhausting. They were waking up through the night...I know first hand what he was going through.
I knew I needed to be there.
It felt like everything was running on slow-mo and every time I tried to make one step towards home it just took longer.
Joining mid-text conversation
...JR - I'll take the girls to the neighbours
Me - Which neighbours?
JR - Behind us.
Me - k
JR - I'll take them over at eleven
Me - ok. I'm in a bathroom crying right now if that means anything. What is our neighbours name?
JR - I don't know. She has two boys. They seem nice. The man was an auxiliary. (*volunteer member in another town)
Me - Ok. U will go to sleep then?
JR - If I can
Me - Are u okay til 11?
JR - I'll manage
Me - K. Girls are safe?
JR - As always
Me - Good
- Glad you found someone. Can u find out her name when u drop them off?...
Her name was M. She was wonderful. I'm so thankful for her. She even baked us muffins and would have sent home supper but thought that might have been overkill.
I'm praying through a hard spot of not being resentful of people who just don't understand what we go through.
I know the Lord understands.
In the end, as always, the Lord proved faithful, I have a new friend and JR and I made it through.
Plus, I brought home these ridiculously cute boots. (This was me modelling them for JR when I finally got home. I'll try and get a better picture yet.)
Yes, these are rubber boots. :D

I get it. I totally get it. Your blog family gets it, and I say that because we really do...even though we're not around the corner to pitch in with the kids, please know that there is a Sister CW in NYC who totally gets it and I am sending you love and prayers and energy right now.
ReplyDeleteI struggle sometimes too; although we don't have children, we have a dog, and sometimes I don't know when he's coming home and I need to be somewhere and I can't just leave the dog alone for a gazillion hours. I know it's not the same, but when I ask my in-laws to help and they act inconvenienced, I want to SCREAM and say to them: "Really?! It's because of YOUR SON that I'm in this predicament to begin with!!!" Of course, I don't say that...out loud. Just in my head. A lot. :)
So...know that there are a whole lot of CW's out there who get it, who are juggling too...and that God's got your back. Remember the sparrow. He's got you, girl.
XO SCW Stella
Thank you Stella. Your message brought tears to my eyes. Its amazing how a little support and acknowledgement can go a long way.
DeleteYou are SO very welcome!! You can always shoot me some LOVE right before my next show when I am flipping out, hoping to represent all of us on stage...!
ReplyDelete:) SCW Stella