Warning: You are now entering the mind of Mrs. Rambo. It is a complex muddled and scary place. I myself sometimes have a hard time going there.
There are things that bug me and I give so much thought to them. I would like to say that it is because I really care about people but I think it is more because I really care about what other people think of me.
I had some recent confusion with a host/customer which left me feeling like they weren't very happy with their experience. It just made me feel sick. It really isn't a big deal that I should be this upset about it. I forgot to go over what happens when their orders come in. My host was rather shocked to find boxes standing on her doorstep and I could tell wasn't very happy about it either.
In five years this is the first time it has ever happened.
It doesn't matter what the circumstance I absolutely hate it when I cannot please people or if I think that they are unhappy with me. Then I do and do and do and say and say and say and apologise profusely and look like a shmuck but try to make it up to them as best I can.
...but the three disgruntled customers I've had in the last year really weigh heavy on my mind. One I know I was able to help and bring back around to having a great experience with my business, the other won't talk to me though I've gone above and beyond and done everything I can and this last one still remains to be seen. 2 unhappy customers that I know of out of a rough underestimation of 500 customers in just this last calendar year.
I know the stats. If you are unhappy you tell 9 people if you are happy you tell 3. So that is roughly 18 people that could have a negative view of my business verses the 1500 that could have a postive view. The numbers speak one thing and my brain understands it.
How come my heart can't get the message?
Why do I worry? Its just business...
Rightly so, or false guilt? I don't know.
Do you?
I feel the same way with my business. If something goes wrong, I feel TERRIBLE about it and will try to do anything possible to fix it and take it very personally. When I started up my business a few months ago I made a mistake with sizing and it still weighs heavy on my mind and makes me paranoid with every order I do now!
ReplyDeleteI'm lurking, Mrs. Rambo! And I, too, am a blogger, yet somewhat less consistent than you, by the look of things... Your regular posting is glaring at me, reminding me of my blog that has been silent for way too long.
ReplyDeleteI'm a fellow cop-wife and I'm lurking, too...but would like to offer some encouragement. I'm not sure what kind of business you have, but the simple fact that you care so much about your customers' satisfaction and are constantly thinking of ways to bring people back speaks volumes. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your support. It is nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. And to you lurkers...lol...it isn't lurking if you are posting ;) I appreciate the post!
ReplyDelete