Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Why do it now...

...when you can do it later?

I'll get to the dishes later,
the laundry can wait,
oh I don't have to make those phone calls today...

You name it, I put it off.

Then I read this:
"Resist the urge to slack off, even for just one day. The results of procrastination are worse than doing what needs to be done in the moment" Keeping House by Cindy Harris

All I'd wanted to find in that book was a few suggestions for how to clean stains out of our carpet. I'd run out of the commercial carpet cleaner I usually kept on hand for things like juice stains that seem to crop up every day.

I hadn't counted on finding a whole new way of thinking.

This past week I've accomplished more
slept more,
been more relaxed,
spent more time with my children,
had a cleaner house,
folded more laundry,
and started in on some major organisation in our lives...


...just by consciously changing one thought "I'll do it later" to
why do it later when I can do it now.

4 comments:

  1. I love that! I want the book now. And for more than just help with the carpet. I will spend 5 minutes a day doing stuff I hate, and it has helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, i think i need a good helping of that mind-set right about now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Do it now!" lol I love it!

    It's so very true...I need to implement this more. Thanks for motivating me today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Read this post the day you posted it and that quote has stuck with me ever since. I needed to hear that!

    ReplyDelete