Sunday, February 13, 2011

Badge Bunnies and Balls

Standing with a few other members of the 'black dress club' chit-chatting about make-up, skincare and shoes, we looked more like we were part of a cult then out for a night of dancing. We'd all thrown on our little black dresses and pearls and were ready for a night out. The event was toted as a "fundraisor ball" but it was far more like a nice dinner in a community hall then the event of the season. There were pockets of people enjoying cocktails and appetizers around the room while catching up and throwing tickets in for draws. The silent auction boasted a gas barbecue and we were all anticipating the delicious dinner to come. Everyone was there in honour of police, EMS and firefighters with the proceeds going to a worthy cause.

Then it hit us.

The parfume wafted over as we were in the middle of talking about MAC lipstick. High-pitched excited voices were coyly trying to slither their way into a conversation where John Rambo and a few other dashing men in dress uniform were catching up and probably not talking about shoes. The giggles were offensive to my ears as they tried to crack a lame joke about "all these cops in one place and happy". I didn't even bother to turn around. I knew their type. I can't blame them.

John Rambo is a hunk.

The rest of the evening was filled with laughter, dinner and door prizes. John Rambo was kind enough to claim me for a twirl or two around the dance-floor. Though proud to have me on his arm I am a self-admitted terrible dancer. Last year I just looked cute because I was 9 months pregnant with Tiny Bear. This year I didn't have an excuse. With a little encouragement and a few reminders to relax and let JR do his thing I managed to make it through the song without looking like a complete fool.

The evening progessed and I noticed Bunny #1 was starting to frequent the dessert table. As the officers spun their wives around the dance floor it became painfully obvious that the only thing she would be enjoying that night was a piece of chocolate cake.

After a few lucky draws and a midnight supper John Rambo and I left hand-in-hand carrying our loot from the evening. I scored $200 worth of jewellery and managed to win JR a bag full of merchandise from his favourite football team. All smiles, JR had suprisingly cheered along with me when he realised I'd even thrown a ticket in for that particular draw and we had won. Since I'm from a rival 'town' I usually couldn't have been bothered to go for something like that.

But I know what my man likes
and he was taking me home that night.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, NOT looking forward to the Badge Bunnies...Blue gets hit-on enough as it is even without a super sexy uniform on. :) Girls usually try the "You're really tall!" pick-up line with him. What are they thinking? Ya, that'll win the boys over.

    Sounds like you two had a great time. I wouldn't mind getting all dolled-up and dancing around for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun night, I'm jealous! My favorite spot so far to pick out badge bunnies was at CA Cops soft ball tournament with all the local police departments. Boy the lack of clothing at that event was enough to make you blush!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies. It was fun. We look forward to those events.

    And as to the badge bunnies...well you get used to them. JR made me laugh one night becaues he crawled into bed and told me a story of some lady that had hit on him. He chuckled and said "I know it sounds bad but I love it when women hit on me because then I mention my wife and they just look like idiots." haha.

    ReplyDelete