Friday, January 28, 2011

On Risks

I've been trying to collect my thoughts over two posts made by Lt on the inherent risks of police work. Instead of rehashing the basis of what is prompting my thoughts why don't you take a minute and jump over and read the following two posts:
http://squadcartheology.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/deadly-week-i/
http://squadcartheology.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/deadly-week-too/


There were two things that came to mind immediately when I finished reading the first blog entry and I would like to explore one in particular. They were:
1) The unpredictability of the job creates a much greater risk factor (discussed by Lt and many commenters on the post); and
2)Complacency

Currently we live in Pleasentville. A sleepy little town with cute little stores, drivers who always stop and wave pedestrians across the street and a seeminly very low call volume for JR. People like us and have welcomed us into the community. It is completely different from where we were a year ago. We, even as a family, were always on guard, always aware of who was approaching our home, kept our gate locked, always had our doors locked even when we were home because people would literally just walk into our house looking for the cops. JR struggled with being in a constant state of vigilance. That becomes very difficult on a family.

Here there is a sense of safety. I don't have to deal with people coming to our door wanting to make a complaint or wondering if someone is going to shoot me while I go for a walk. Though we are known, we don't stick out as the "cop family." It *feels* safe.


However, this feeling of safety is what leads a lot of people, not just officers, into life threatening situations. The appearance of a low-risk enivronment makes people let down their gaurd, not take the usual precautions and sometimes set themselves up to be in a risky spot. It is so hard to find a balance on the continuum between complacency and hyper-vigilance. This is crucial for survival on the job and for preserving a healthy home life.


Whatever the statistics say I know that when JR puts on his uniform and walks out that door that he has no idea what he might be called to deal with that night. Everyday I pray that he comes home intact.


So What? What does this mean for all of the spouses that watch their loved one's backs?


How can we be a part of bringing our officer home safe after every shift?


That is a post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment